Southern Gardens Citrus is an industry leader in advanced agricultural techniques and environmentally friendly farming methods. Not only do these innovations produce the highest quality juice and orange byproducts available, but they also ensure that the land the Company farms remains healthy and productive.
- The Company’s 2.5 million greenhouse-grown
trees are the foundation of its success.
From 1986 to 1994, 500,000 of these specially
bred trees were planted each year on former
cattle pastures to create our resilient groves.
- Our location in Hendry County Florida, near Lake Okeechobee, has milder winter weather compared to other historic orange growing regions, making it less prone to damaging winter freezes.
- Southern Gardens’ groves produce more than four million boxes of Valencia and Hamlin oranges each season, enough for 25 million gallons of juice.
- During the growing season, fruit is sampled in the field and evaluated for quality, based on the variety of the orange and its rootstock. Quality control technicians scout our groves daily.
- Custom-designed, computerized irrigation and fertilization programs determine exact amounts of nutrients and water required.
- At harvest time, low-producing areas are identified and targeted for the proper horticultural prescription to encourage optimal growth.
- To ensure freshness and quality, oranges are grown, picked, processed and packaged on-site, according to meticulous standards.
- Widely regarded in the industry as a model of efficiency, Southern Gardens Citrus strives continually to improve the way it does business.